Everyone’s favourite scary holiday is nearly here. The Walking Dead fans are already gorging themselves on more apocalyptic horror. But not everyone is pleased to see Halloween (Samhainophobia – fear of Halloween).
We decided to face other people’s fears head on and surveyed 1,000 willing volunteers to find out men’s biggest fears and how they’d cope in a terrifying situation such as arriving at a stag weekend and finding out the hotel has run out of beer.
What’s your biggest fear?
- Fear of spiders 24% – Arachnophobia
- Fear of heights 19.9% – Acrophobia
- Public Speaking 15.1% – Glossophobia
- Snakes 11.4% – Ophidiophobia
- Failure 11.1% – Atychiphobia
- Fear of flying 3.7% – Aviophobia
Surprisingly only 28 of 1,000 people mentioned a fear of clowns (coulrophobia).
Let’s Talk About This
Over half of all men admit to some fear/anxiety talking in front of a crowd.
Are you happy speaking in public (such as a best man speech)?
Man’s Weirdest Fears
Not being scared to tackle the biggest issues, we asked blokes what their weirdest fears were. While some phobias seem perfectly understandable, some fears really are a bit Radio Gaga.
- “Putting my phone in the washing machine”
- “Shopping trolleys”
- “Metal tape measures”
- “Other people’s socks”
- “People licking the lids of yoghurt”
- “Ice cream Vans”
- “Licking wood”
- “Coat hangers”
- “Belly Buttons”
- “The sound of opening envelopes”
Other fears men admitted to include.
Sharks (x2), Eastenders (x1), Postman Pat (x1), Birds (x19), Balloons (x12), Cotton wool (x20), Frogs (x9), Rodents (x11), “My wife” (x4)
Yes, surprisingly only 4 men actually admitted to being afraid of their wives, though we suspect the real number is probably higher.
One of the weirdest areas of phobias guys confessed to were food phobias. Fair enough, you might be a bit nervous if Ant & Dec were about to send you on a bushtucker trial but would you lose your cool over a cucumber?
Cucumber (x2), Lettuce, Coleslaw, Beetroot, Sliced ham, Jelly, Scrambled eggs, Baked beans (x4), Bacon, Ketchup, Peppers, Mushrooms, Tapioca, Marzipan, Toast, Bananas, Cous cous, Crisps, Milk, Touching cheese, Lolly sticks (x12).
5 out of our 1,000 confessed to a fear of baked beans while 12 admitted to a fear of lolly sticks.
Modern Male Phobias
Here’s a list of phobias your grandfather probably didn’t suffer with. These are all genuine phobias;
- Gynophobia – The fear of women
- Caligynephobia – Fear of beautiful women
- Kinemortophobia – The fear of zombies
- Escalaphobia – Fear of escalators
- Nomophobia – Fear of being without your mobile phone
- Ergophobia – Fear of the workplace environment
- Ablutophobia – Fear of washing
- Gamophobia – The fear of commitment
- Philophobia – The fear of love
- Paruresis – Fear of peeing in public
6 famous (and apparently scary) faces appeared in the list of things people admitted to recently being scared by.
Donald Trump, Kim Kardashian, Honey G, Jeremy Corbyn, Theresa May, Eamon Holmes
Follow The Leader
We asked our survey if they thought they’d be a Rick Grimes and lead any rabble, even taking charge when the stags hangovers make them look like the cast of the Thriller video.
Are you a confident natural leader?
Most Recent Thing That Scared You
We asked our blokes “What was the last thing that scared you?” 4 people admitted to being terrified during a recent speech.
20 people had been scared during an incident while behind the wheel, while 60 scared themselves with a horror movie.
When it comes to home life you’re 5 times more likely to be scared by your cat than any other pet. Kids are more likely to leap out to scare you (x19) but our partners aren’t far behind (x15). But still the biggest fear factor was a run in with an arachnid.
What was the last thing that scared you?”
- Incident with a spider x 175
- Horror Movie x 60
- Money worries – Recent bill/bank account/earnings x 24
- Leisure activity such as an amusement park x 24
- Family or personal health scare x 22
- Near road accidents/collisions x 20
- Child jumping out on you x 19
- Partner leaping out on you x 15
- ‘Killer clown’ x 9
- Seeing your child nearly have an accident x 9
- Wife’s driving x 5
- Seeing the mother-in-law x 4
- Job interview x 3
- Getting Married x 1
- Proposing x 1
- Thought of not finding love x 1
Replies direct from our survey;
“Hearing children giggling. I don’t have kids and was alone in the house.”
“My 6 year old son standing over me whilst I slept at 3am!!”
“Starting my own business.”
“My kids being silent.”
“A woman doing star jumps in the gym yesterday.”
“My other half’s face when I thought I was the only one in the house.”
“My little boy trying to jump down the stairs.”
“A power cut when I was home alone.”
Our results are drawn from a survey of just over 1,000 people. The survey was carried out in October 2016.
Don’t wimp out, tell us your weird fear in the comments below.