Planning a stag do in Cardiff?
Well, let us be the first people to tell you that you are on to an absolute winner.
Cardiff has everything you could want from a bouncing capital city, and you won’t be short of things to do, see, and conquer.
Here at StagWeb, we’ve been planning legendary stag weekends since way back in 2002 and Cardiff has always been at the forefront of our stags minds.
Scroll on to find out all there is to know about a monumental stag do in Cardiff.
What Do You Want to Know?
- The Best Time to Go
- How Long You Should Go For
- The Best Things to Do on a Cardiff Stag Do
- Where to Party
- Where to Stay
- The Easiest Way to Get to Cardiff
- How to Get Around the City
- Cardiff Stag Do FAQs
- Staying Safe on Your Cardiff Stag
- Who are StagWeb?
- Start Planning Your Cardiff Stag Do With StagWeb
The Best Time to Head to Cardiff?
Being a capital city, Cardiff is a great crack all year round.
Whether the sun’s out or it’s bucketing down, you’ll undoubtedly have a blast.
The most popular months to head to Cardiff for StagWeb’s stags are between May and June.
46% of all our groups going to Cardiff went in these two months in 2023.
Why are May & June so popular?
- Timing – A lot of weddings happen over the summer months, so a stag do in May or June gives you time to recover from the weekend.
- Cost – Hotel and apartment prices will be cheaper as the school summer holidays are yet to bump them up.
- Weather – May and June are often our best months of the year weather-wise.
- Fewer Students – Universities usually finish by May/June, so the nights out are generally a slightly older crowd.
- Fewer Date Clashes – More of the lads are likely to be around as most people don’t jet off on holiday until July/August.
How Long Should You Go For?
Two nights is more than enough to explore the very best that Cardiff has to offer.
However, if you fancy extending your stay to three nights, there’s plenty to keep you guys occupied.
61% of our stags heading to Cardiff in 2023 went for two nights – enough time to take on a load of activities and enjoy a couple of nights out!
The Best Things to Do in Cardiff for Stags
As well as a range of stag activities, Cardiff has loads of things to do and see.
From drinks down at Cardiff Bay to catching an event at the Principality or Cardiff Castle, you can really pack out your weekend here.
Be sure to Check Out…
- Cardiff Bay – Cardiff Bay has been given a glow-up and is a great place for a few beers and a bite to eat (there’s something for even the fussiest stag).
- Cardiff Castle – As well as being a pretty cool place to stroll around, Cardiff Castle hosts loads of bands and events with people like Noel Gallagher and Madness headlining.
- The Principality Stadium – The Principality is smack bang in the centre of the city and plays host to Six Nations matches, gigs and more.
10 Most Popular Cardiff Stag Do Ideas in 2023
- Go Karting – Cardiff’s indoor go karting track sees you go up against crazy hairpins, slip corners and plenty of straights to unleash the power. You’ll do battle over 2.5 hours of Le Mans-style racing, which is a cracking endurance race, or classic Grand Prix racing. Which one of you is the best driver? Let’s find out, shall we… Find out more about Cardiff stag go karting.
- Quad Biking – Jump aboard some 250cc Honda quads and get ready to tear up 360 acres worth of tracks and terrains. You’ll be able to hit speeds of up to 50 mph as you put your pedals to the metal in the glorious Welsh countryside. This activity is slightly out of the centre, but our team will be able to advise on transfers to and from the site. Find out more about Cardiff stag quad biking.
- Clay Shooting – Find your stag squad’s sharpshooter as you get your hands on some hefty guns and prepare to blast some pesky clay pigeons out of the sky. You’ll have some qualified instructors on hand to give you tips and advice (point the shooty end away from you, etc.) as you take on 25 clays each. Find out more about Cardiff stag clay shooting.
- White Water Rafting – Take on a 250-metre white water rafting course in an activity that’s guaranteed to blast any hangovers into oblivion. Whether you’re new to rafting or you’re a seasoned pro, there’s a range of rapids to take on and conquer. Find out more about Cardiff stag whitewater rafting.
- Paintball – Boasting a variety of game zones, semi-automatic guns, padded body armour and protective face masks, you’ll get the full paintball experience at our Cardiff site. Lock and load as you paint the groom multiple shades of the rainbow giving him a whole new look just in time for the wedding. Find out more about Cardiff stag paintball.
- Bubble Football – Suit up as you and the boys do battle in a hilarious Bubble Football match. Encased in big, bouncy zorbs, you’ll attempt to smash your opponents into Row Z and walk away with the bragging rights. Will still be able to show off your silky footwork in your bubbles? Find out more about bubble football.
- Comedy Club – Head to Wales’ no.1 comedy venue for 2-3 hours of big laughs and top acts. Get there early and grab a beer from the bar before you settle in for an evening of side-splitting action. The perfect activity before that big night on the town. Find out more about Cardiff stag comedy club.
- Bingo Lingo – If you haven’t heard of Bingo Lingo, you are missing out. It’s one of the UK’s craziest nights out and it’s packed full of rave rounds, weird prizes, live DJs, stage performers and, not forgetting, a little bit of bingo. Find out more about Bingo Lingo.
- Axe Throwing – Let the groom unleash any pent-up wedding stress by hurling massive axes at huge wooden targets. You and the stags will each take it in turns to step up to the axe oche and launch your weapons – closest to the bull wins. Think of it as darts for lumberjacks. Find out more about Cardiff stag axe throwing.
- Welsh Challenge – Now this is a proper stag activity. From stag-to-stag combat, hilarious games, plus a prank for the groom – it’s the perfect start to another day in the Welsh capital. 2-3 hours of inflatable chaos at its best. Find out more about the Welsh challenge.
5 Alternative Ideas for 2024
- Alcotraz Prison Cocktail Experience – Opening its doors in late 2023, this is one of the newest additions to Cardiff’s nightlife scene and is, undoubtedly, the best live-action cocktail experience ever. You and the boys will be sent to Alcotraz Cocktail Prison (for crimes against fashion?), where you’ll be greeted by the prison guards and introduced to your new inmates. Find out more about Alcotraz cocktail experience.
- Crazy Golf Bottomless Brunch – Bottomless booze. Bottomless chicken wings. Small plates. Live DJs. 18 holes of minigolf… What’s not to love? Head to our latest crazy golf venue in Cardiff for the ultimate sporting/booze mash-up. Find out more about crazy golf bottomless brunch.
- Indoor Bodyboarding – Avoid the risk of shark attacks by taking on some indoor waves in an awesome bodyboarding session. You’ll have coaches on hand to ensure you minimise the risk of face-planting the waves each time, plus you’ll get a couple of hours to really get the hang of it. Find out more about Cardiff stag indoor bodyboarding.
- Coasteering – Another activity away from the centre of Cardiff (but one that’s definitely worth travelling for) is this awesome Coasteering activity. You’ll get a half-day session where you’ll leap from some big cliffs into the open water. Only thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies need apply for this one. Find out more about coasteering.
- Footgolf – Gareth Bale’s dream sport! Footgolf is a relaxing, yet highly competitive way to spend a couple of hours on the stag. Can you clip your ball into the hole or will you be knee deep in the rough? Find out more about footgolf.
Where to Party in Cardiff
A night out in Cardiff is next level.
If you’re yet to experience it, here are the best places to head for the groom’s legendary send-off.
- Mill Lane – Mill Lane boasts a range of chain restaurants as well as a number of bars towards the bottom end.
- Castle Quarter – To the south of the Castle, you’ll find the Castle Quarter (surprise). Stretching from Westgate Street in the east to St John’s Street in the west, there is a range of bars that will welcome stags with open arms.
- St Mary Street – The main street running through the heart of Cardiff. There are plenty of drinking spots lining the length of it. There are also loads of cool bars and speakeasies down the side streets splitting off.
- Cardiff Bay – You can’t party in Cardiff and not head to the Bay for a few drinks. Well, actually, you can – but you shouldn’t!
If you want to get to Cardiff Bay from the city centre, there are several options including buses (The Baycar – Service 6), taxis and walking (if you’re up for a 30-minute stomp).
Here at StagWeb, we have a range of cracking Cardiff stag night options from entry to some of the biggest clubs to casinos, comedy clubs, lap dance venues and more.
We’ve also put together a hitlist of the best bars in Cardiff for a stag do, so you don’t have to spend hours strolling the streets of the Welsh capital looking for somewhere to go.
Where to Stay in Cardiff on a Stag Do?
Well, it depends on what you’re after.
If you’re just looking for somewhere to get your heads down because you’ve got an action-packed weekend planned, we’d recommend looking at hotels in the centre of Cardiff.
There is a range to suit all budgets and tastes, whether you’re after a cheaper stay or a 5-star gaff with all the bells and whistles.
Alternatively, if you’re a bigger group looking for a bigger place with top features like a hot tub, garden, BBQ and more, you might be better off looking at houses slightly further afield.
Check out our range of Cardiff stag accommodation options and get yours booked before someone else beats you to it.
Please Note: Not every hotel in Cardiff will accept stag parties. If you do decide to book solo, be sure to check this first.
Getting to Cardiff
It’s easy to get to Cardiff by…
Train – Unlike some cities, Cardiff Central Train Station is located right in the centre of the city. You’ll stroll out the doors and within seconds, you’ll be right on St Mary Street (Cardiff’s main street) ready to take the city by storm.
Car – All roads lead to the M4. The Welsh capital can be accessed via 3 junctions off it, so even if the lads singing along to your stag do playlist causes you to miss the first one, you have two more to save you. For context, London to Cardiff takes 3-4 hours, Liverpool just over 4 hours, and Newcastle around 6 hours (traffic/roadwork dependent, obviously).
Plane – Cardiff Airport is situated 15 miles outside of the city centre. Getting to and from the airport is pretty easy with a range of taxis and buses available to take you in.
Getting Around Cardiff
Walking – Cardiff city centre is pretty compact and definitely walkable. If any of your Cardiff stag activities are miles out of town, we can advise you on the best transport options or book transfers for you and the guys.
Taxis & Uber – Uber is available throughout Cardiff, so be sure to download the app. There is also a range of taxi companies, including Dragon Taxis (029 2033 333).
Train – There are smaller stations dotted around Cardiff, so be sure to check in advance where your hotel/apartments are as this could be a cost-effective option for you and your group.
Bus – You can head to the Cardiff Bus website for routes and timetables or download the app so you have it on the go. The buses take contactless payments and are an easy way to bounce about the city.
For the latest up-to-date info for getting around Cardiff, head to the Visit Cardiff website.
Cardiff Stag Do FAQs
Is Cardiff good for a stag do?
Cardiff isn’t just good, it’s up there as one of the best UK destinations for a stag weekend. Why? Because it has all the elements required for you and the boys to celebrate in style. With amazing activities, great places to eat and electric nights out, it’s non-stop action from start to finish.
Is Cardiff expensive for a night out?
It most certainly is not. The prices are around the country’s average for a night out, so unless you visit a VIP venue, Cardiff is still one of the most affordable party destinations in the UK!
Is Cardiff good for clubbing?
With its old-school venues, buzzing live music joints, techno nights, and cheesy clubs, Cardiff caters for all clubbers (no matter how bad your music taste!). There are several clubs lining St Mary Street and the roads in and around it, so you won’t have to go far to find the place for you.
Can you explore Cardiff in one weekend?
Of course you can! Visit Cardiff Bay with its waterside bars and restaurants, then take the party inwards and towards the heart of the city.
Do you have any Cardiff stag packages ready to book?
If you’re stuck for ideas (or for the easiest way to book your Cardiff stag do), check out our Cardiff stag packages. These are put together by our Destination Specialists and are made up of our most popular options.
Our packages are fully flexible, so if you want to change anything, let us know and we’ll get it sorted.
You can also build your own weekend with StagWeb.
If you can’t see anything you want, you can build your own weekend by sending us a free Cardiff stag enquiry.
Staying Safe on Your Cardiff Stag
We know you’re adults, so we’re not going to lecture you.
But we’ve put together 10 tips for staying safe on your stag for you to have a scan through if you get five minutes.
It does pay to be prepared.
Who are StagWeb?
StagWeb are one of the UK’s leading stag party planners having sent over 600,000 stags off on their legendary weekends since 2002.
We’ve been at the forefront of the industry and have a team of experts on hand to help you from the planning stage right until the event itself.
Plan You Cardiff Stag Do with StagWeb?
Contact our team today on 01225 474200 and have a chat with our Cardiff Destination Specialist about your legendary weekend in the Welsh capital.
Be sure to head to check out our Cardiff stag activities and send us a free enquiry, and we’ll get to work building a quote for you.